Monday, December 31, 2012

The times are changing......

Well, today is the last day of 2012.  Sorry for the lack of posts.  With the boys being sick this month, as well as myself.  Posting was last on my mind.  I will do weekly updates in 2013.  I promise. 

If you follow me on Facebook, the page name is 'Cooking with Two Vegan Boys'.  As usual, we are cooking, a lot. 

Tomorrow is the first day of 2013.  Do you have any goals for the New Year?  I do. Here they are:
-Learn to crochet
-Learn to make soap.
-Spend only $100 a month at Costco for our big food items.
-Spend only $60 a week on groceries.

Now, I know you are thinking the  last one is crazy.  Hey, I like a challenge, and I love to cook.  So, when I do the weekly update, I will post the grocery receipt, and what I  made for the week.  We also plan, not to go out to eat.  That really isn't a challenge, we rarely go out to eat as is.

One thing regarding the $60 a week.  You have to realize, I keep a very well stocked pantry, and have a garden, as well as friends who garden.  That means trades, and barters.  We save a ton of money on produce thanks to having a garden.  The new budget also means more money in savings, that means going on holiday with my guys.  It is a win/win. 

As for cooking, I will be making 3-4 large meals a week, instead of 5-7.  That means lunch is taken care of daily.  Leftovers!  And I make bars for snacks, and make breakfast breads, and muffins.  I also make all of our own tortillas, flatbreads, and sandwich breads. 

One of my friends gave me a vegan cheese cookbook.  That will save money too.  Vegan cheese is $4.50 and more per package  Yowza!

The menu for this week (Jan 1-5) is as follows:
Blackeyed pea stew with hushpuppies
Baked ziti with a small salad, and baguette
Burgers, and roasted fries

No need to make more since the stew will be a large crockpot's worth.  The ziti will be a large casserole dish.  And tonite I am making a Middle Eastern beans, and rice dish with homemade naan. As I said, plenty of leftovers. .For breakfast, I am making cranberry orange granola, and banana bread. 

Hope you have a safe, and happy New Year's Eve.  See you next year!

peas, and love....
Krys and the boys











2 comments:

  1. You are inspiring with the sheer number of things that you make from scratch! I don't have a vegetable garden, but I do remember how much it helped long ago when my friends and I did. Learning to make soap is on my bucket list, too, keep us up to date on your experiments! I too want to make vegan cheese. I have made some, still working on it. I can't eat cashews so that rules out some of the recipes out there. What cookbook did you get for that? Is it the UnCheese Cookbook?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello again, the cheese recipe was from Artisan Vegan Cheese. Have you tried subbing almonds for the cashews? I wonder if that would work. Hope you have a lovely Sunday.

      Delete