Sunday, January 13, 2013

The month is nearly half over.....

Sunday morning Josh made waffles.  They were so good. 

Blueberry almond waffles, mmmm.
          

For dinner Sunday evening, we had leftovers.  It is always funny to me to see the fridge on a Sunday night.  It looks so empty, but empty in a good way.  No food ever goes to waste.

Monday, my sweet 6 year old, who I fondly call "Boogie" started back to school.  Winter Break is officially over.  Boo!  Hiss!

Monday evening, I took the easy way out, and used my crockpot.  It is a mum's best friend, especially this mummy.  I have had a nagging cough for the past few days, it was much worse last week, but still quite annoying.  So, I used a lovely orange cauliflower from our garden, as well as some greens. I made a aloo gobi style dish. I added brown lentils, along with the potatoes, onion, garlic, and spices.  I served it over basmati rice.  It was tasty, and made a ton. Another win/win.

A beautiful orange cauliflower from our garden.  Mmmm....


Aloo Gobi style crockpot meal.


Tuesday, I made enchiladas. I love casseroles. They are tasty, and we always have leftovers.

Easy enchiladas.

Wednesday, was another crockpot kind of day.  It rained 3 full days this past week.  We needed it.  Little Bear (our 4 year old), and I stayed in, fired up the crockpot, and made a dinosaur felt board.  The red beans, and greens with homemade cornbread muffins were perfect.  And not to mention, that I really, really like a lovely crockpot full of beans.

Red beans, and greens, with cornbread.

Thursday night, I made carrot soup, and dill biscuits.  The dill is fresh from our garden.  Our dill plant has become a bush.  It is huge, at least 2 feet tall.  The biscuits were quite tasty, and the soup hit the spot.

Dill biscuits

Carrot soup, and our 4 year old loved it.

Thursday, I made bread.  I make 2 loaves each week.  The boys love bread. 

Beautiful bread

I made molasses cookies for my guys this week as a treat. 

Cookies!


Friday, our 6 year old woke up with a fever.  Grrr!  So, he stayed home.  We watched movies, colored, and had leftovers for dinner.  A sick kid, pretty much dictates your day.

Saturday, Josh had to work.  The boys and I made sandwiches, worked in the garden a bit, and relaxed.

Now, for the weekly grocery total.  I always shop on Wednesdays.  That is supposedly the best sale day.  I went to two stores, the regular grocery store, and the gourmet store to find wheat gluten.  My total for the week:   $50.80.  We spent $44.34 at the grocery store, and $6.46 at the gourmet store.  Yippee!  We stayed under budget again.  The leftover money was used to pay for our 6 year old's two upcoming school field trips.  Normally, all the leftover money goes into our holiday fund.  This year, we are planning a road trip to Santa Fe.  It will be fun.

Grocery store receipt

Gourmet grocery store receipt.

Well, today is Sunday.  Family day.  We love Sundays. The plan is to work in the garden some more, plant some seeds, make tacos for dinner, and let my boys relax.  They have been sick.  We are looking forward to dinner.  Mmm, I am firing up the crockpot this morning, and cooking some pinto beans. 

Hope you have a lovely day.

peas and love....
Krys and the boys

P.S.  If you are interested, I have added a page on this blog that keeps track of our garden harvest this year.  I am listing the amount of food we harvest from our garden each month.  It is awesome to see how much we eat, and save money by having a garden.


































2 comments:

  1. You are the queen of budgeting! I can't wait to check out your garden page

    ReplyDelete