Monday, February 4, 2013

Countdown to spring.....

The weather here has been crazy.  We have had 80F temperatures.  That is very odd for winter. I am hoping we get some type of freeze soon, and don't suffer when summer hits.

Okay, on to the food.  I saw this recipe on vegweb.com, and it intrigued me.  The ingredients are simple.  I subbed the kale for garden fresh broccoli, and peas.  http://www.vegweb.com/recipes/quinoa-teriyaki-potatoes-and-kale

It was easy to make, and quite tasty.  Even my little guys liked it.  Yay!

Teriyaki quinoa broccoli, potatoes, and peas.


Tuesday, I felt like making soup.  It was windy, and rain outside.  I made my chipotle splitpea soup recipe, and served it with a side of homemade dill bread.  I used dill from our garden.  Fresh dill is the best.

Dill bread


Chipotle Split Pea Soup (w/a variation)
1lb dried split peas
8c veggie broth
1 small onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 lg carrots, sliced
1t salt
1/2t coarse black pepper
2 chipotles in adobo sauce, pureed

Place all the ingredients in a crockpot.  Cook on high for 6-8 hours. 
Variation:  For Split Pea and Yam Soup, omit the chipotles, add a large cubed sweet potato.  Add a package of tempeh bacon or a package of vegan sausage(cooked and sliced).  Cook in the crockpot for 6-8 hours. 

Chipotle Split Pea Soup


Wednesday is always a busy day for us with extracurricular activites.  It is leftover night for us.  It makes for an easy evening.

Here is another recipe, I discovered on vegweb.com I had to try.  We had a lovely head of cauliflower from our garden.  I tried this recipe:  http://www.vegweb.com/recipes/roasted-cauliflower-indian-barbecue-sauce  It was really good.  I roasted some potatoes with the cauliflower.  I sauteed some garden fresh pok choi, and served it over cardomom coconut basmati rice.  For the recipe, I omitted the salt, pepper, and sugar, and used fresh ginger.  Yummy!

Indian BBQ cauliflower & potatoes, with cardomom coconut rice and greens.


For dinner Friday nite, I decided to make falafel.  I always use the recipe from Manjula's Kitchen.  It is a favorite around here.  I also love creating new recipes, and finding recipes to try.  I came across this skillet flatbread recipe, and gave it a try.  It was so good.  The boys loved it too.  http://www.cinnamonspiceandeverythingnice.com/falafel-with-tzatziki-and-skillet-flatbread/

Falafel


Saturday it was beautiful outside, 75F.  We spent most of the days outdoors, and had leftovers for dinner. 

Sunday morning I made our Elvis waffles recipe.  They can be made into pancakes too.  Yummy!

Peanut Butter Banana Pancakes aka Elvis Pancakes
1 banana
1/4c chunky peanut butter (or smooth)
3T sugar
1/4t salt
1 1/2t baking powder
2c flour
2c soymilk
1/2c chocolate chips (optional)
 
In a large mixing bowl, mash the banana and peanut butter together until the banana is completely mashed. Add the sugar and salt. Stir. Add flour, baking powder, and soymilk. Using a whisk, stir until the flour is incorporated into the milk. Add chocolate chips if using.  Making sure to scrape the bottom of the bowl to get all of the peanut butter and banana. Heat up your griddle. Add a little oil or soy margarine to the warm griddle. Cook your pancakes until golden on both sides. Serve with fresh banana slices and warm maple syrup. Yield: 10 pancakes

Sunday was also the Super Bowl.  Since Josh's favorite team was not playing, the Patriots, we opted to play outside, and make super nachos.  It was tortilla chips topped with refried beans, seasoned quinoa, tomatoes, chopped jalapeno, onions, avocado, cheezy sauce, and hatch chile salsa. Yum!
As usual, we stayed under $60.  We spent $58.69, pretty close to $60.  I bought soy yogurt, and wheat gluten.  Those items are pricey!  But, we still kept with our budget.  Yippee!

Off to enjoy the rest of our evening. 

peas and love....
Krys and the boys















3 comments: