Tuesday, April 9, 2013

April showers.....

Bring May flowers.  I hope so.  In our case, the April shower last week brought destruction.  We had a crazy storm it.  I haven't seen it rain that hard in ages.  The swallowtail caterpillars were washed away.  (sad face)  The onions were leaning side ways from the rain hitting so hard, and some of the seeds washed away. Thankfully, we had extra, so we replanted.  We are expecting more rain tomorrow.  Hopefully, it is a gentle storm. 

Now, for the food.  I am always cooking.  Hee hee. I'll start with the baked goods. 

The grocery store had pineapples on sale, so I bought a couple, cut up some for the freezer, some for the dehydrator, and some I used for an upside down pineapple coffee cake.

Upside Down Pineapple Coffee Cake

Call me crazy, but I make crackers for my boys.  Yes, I know they are cheap to buy, but I prefer the boys eating quality food that isn't full of crappy preservatives.  I found a recipe online.  They boys loved them.  As a matter of fact, I had to hide them so they wouldn't eat them all in one sitting.  Next time, I will double the batch.

Homemade crackers

Our local grocery co-op had fresh strawberries on sale from a local farm.  Of course I had to buy some.  The boys love strawberries. I was able to snag a few and make muffins for them. I made strawberry carob muffins.  I used peanut butter in place of the oil.  Not that the boys need an oil-free diet, I  just like to add nut butter for the protein. 

Strawberry Carob Mini Muffins

Now for dinner.  It was quite a busy week for us.  Our usual schedule was jumbled since we were helping a loved one who was sick.  So, dinners were easy since we were all exhasted.  Here is what I made. 

The pizza I made was amazing.  Homemade crust, homemade faux pepperoni, and I used basil, garlic, oregano, onion, and spinach from our garden.  It was the best pizza ever!

Homemade Pizza


Friday night I made seitan fajita nachos.  The boys especially love nachos. 

Super Nachos



The other day, I felt like spring rolls were in order.  So, I made spring rolls using cilantro and mint from our garden. I filled them with rice noodles, tofu, and mango.  I served them with homemade peanut dipping sauce, and fried rice. 

Fried Rice and Spring Rolls


Another night last week, I felt like chili fries.  They aren't necessarily french fries. They are actually roasted potatoes topped with homemade chili, and smother in nutritional yeast sauce.  Wowza!  This was good.

Chili Cheeze Potatoes


Last but not least, I  made some quinoa patties, beans, faux sausage, and mac & cheeze.  The quinoa pattie recipe was sent from a friend. It was quite tasty.  They were pan fried.  Next time I think I will bake them.

Quinoa Patty Dinner

Well, I am off to do some baking.  Hope you have a lovely week.

peas and love....
Krys and the boys











No comments:

Post a Comment